Tuesday, June 14, 2016

[bamboo-plantations] FW: Bamboo in South Africa

Gigantis Bamboo plantation Dear all,

Anyone in the group could help Klaus J. Walther in South Africa? This email is copied to him

Thanks

Jinhe

-----Original Message-----
From: Klaus Walther [mailto:
lukivis@icloud.com]
Sent: 2016年6月14日 17:45
To: Fu Jinhe
Subject: Bamboo in South Africa

Sir
During my working life in Logistics I had the opportunity to see at first hand the many uses of bamboo in Hong Kong, Thailand and South East Asia in general.
I retired to the South Coast of KwaZulu Natal province of South Africa ( sea level at 31 degrees latitude south) where I came across a variety of ornamental types of bamboo, some of which I was able to cultivate in my garden which consisted mostly of coastal dune forest.

I have since moved to Howick, also in KZN but at 1000 m above sealevel and at 29 degrees. The climate in these parts is similar to that of some Mediterranean countries. There is a lot of grassland running into the foothills of the Drakensberg Mountains with huge plantations of pines and blue gums.
Howick boast many exceptionally large trees, for example my one acre garden hosts a plane tree with a girth of almost 7 meters plus several pecan nuts 30 m in height.

I would like to be involved in spreading the good news about bamboo in these parts and note that South Africa is not a member of Inbar.

Perhaps you will be kind enough to have someone advise me as to the best commercial variety for our climatic conditions and where plants can be sourced. My property runs down to the river Umgeni where there is space for planting a few samples.
I have not as yet studied the subject which will be my next step but I can count agricultural university lecturers and local Farmers in my circle of acquaintances.
As your colleagues Friedrich and Hunde pointed out in their recent interview bamboo could do much to reduce unemployment and to uplift poorer communities in South Africa.

In my limited way I would therefore like to be involved in creating awareness of this versatile plant and thus do something for the general good of the country.

At your service

Klaus J. Walther
PO Box 910, Howick 3290, RSA
092 882 1644

Sent from my iPad


------------------------------------
Posted by: Fu Jinhe <jfu@inbar.int>
------------------------------------

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

JOIN US ON FaceBook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/bambooplantation/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
bamboo-plantations-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bamboo-plantations/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bamboo-plantations/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
bamboo-plantations-digest@yahoogroups.com
bamboo-plantations-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
bamboo-plantations-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/